Monday, August 17, 2009

Summer to Fall


Today the winds have changed and although we all expect one more burst of summer, fall is in the air. Something about the changing of the seasons makes me look back and forward all at the same time. I want to hang on to the past but peek around the corner and see what God has in store for the future.
Life around the house will be different in a lot of ways this fall. Both Abby Sue and Ben will be at school all day. It feels like a new chapter of their lives is beginning. They are leaving "little" behind. In fact while they were at summer camp last week, I decided to go through all of their toys and in doing so realized that they have moved beyond much of them. I felt sad and happy as I sorted through dress up boxes, blocks, coloring books, etc. So much of the past 8 years have been devoted to training them up within these four walls, and now I'm watching them take the tools we have given them and apply them to everyday life outside of their nest. In all of this I'm thankful for the blessing of Elizabeth. I look forward to our time together. It will be good to focus on her a bit more and treasure in my heart her preschool years. Soon enough she will be waiting for the bus in the fall with the other two...but hopefully time will take its time before then.
Looking back on this summer I'm overwhelmed with joy. Beginning with our amazing trip to Europe, playing with the kids in the Bahamas, camping with family and friends, The Fourth July under the grape arbor, running in the Cascade Lakes Relay, Abby Sue turning eight and having her first sleepover, Canyonview Camp, watching the kids ride their bikes up and down Pine street on their own, the list goes on and on. I actually feel like I finally grew up this summer too....well almost. Thank You Jesus for more than I can say...continue to give us the grace to live our lives as a testimony to Your love. Bless the work of Your hands in and around us as we commit each breath to You. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Your post made me teary-eyed. I am glad you have so many treasured memories of the summer and that you savor them.

    ReplyDelete