Tuesday, January 7, 2014

birthdays

Apparently I turn 38 years old tomorrow.
I have to remind myself because all year long I thought I was 36.
Somehow I skipped a year I guess.
So, today I'm 37,
until tomorrow.
38 years God has given me upon this earth.
Such a short amount of time,
for so much life in-between.
Childhood,
adolescence,
independence,
marriage,
three children that grew in love underneath my youthful heart,
gray hair,
fine lines,
weathered hands..
all of this just beginning to make their mark on me.
Evidence of laughter, joy, and pain.
Why should I hide that? 
My younger friends (and husband) gasp..
38!
You're almost 40!
Yes, I guess I am...
and then I'll be 41,
over the hill,
here I come...
but what's so bad about being over a hill?
Sounds more like the better part of a race to me. 


I have had the words to this hymn copied down in my bible from the time I was 11 years old, and they are still my prayer today.

  1. Take my life and let it be
    Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
    *Take my moments and my days,
    Let them flow in endless praise.
  2. Take my hands and let them move
    At the impulse of Thy love.
    Take my feet and let them be
    Swift and beautiful for Thee.
  3. Take my voice and let me sing,
    Always, only for my King.
    Take my lips and let them be
    Filled with messages from Thee.
  4. Take my silver and my gold,
    Not a mite would I withhold.
    Take my intellect and use
    Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.
  5. Take my will and make it Thine,
    It shall be no longer mine.
    Take my heart, it is Thine own,
    It shall be Thy royal throne.
  6. Take my love, my Lord, I pour
    At Thy feet its treasure store.
    Take myself and I will be
    Ever, only, all for Thee.
  7. Francis R. Havergal, 1836-1879

4 comments:

  1. I love that hymn. I can even hear you singing it, my dear old friend;) I love that you missed a year! That cracks me up. Happy birthday, my sweet friend. You have a great perspective on aging! Here's to 38!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jenn... You are one of the most beautiful woman I know inside and out! And those weathered hands can open one mean can of root beer ;) Love you tons. Hope you have a wonderful day!!! Praying Gods blessing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and to think this amazing and beautiful woman is a part of me and "grew under my heart". I love you honey.

    ReplyDelete