Saturday, May 5, 2012

Adventure Bells

When I was a toddler my mom tied silver bells to my shoes...everyday.

I thought they were wonderful.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to have a little blonde haired, blue eyed girl who was "hell-bent" on roaming. Especially if you lived high up in the wilderness of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Those bells never let me roam away too far.

I had a dad like that.

Problem was, he never came back.

I hate that I can't sit still.

But, I love what I discover.

While I was packing for our weekend trip to Hawaii, I purposely left both hiking and running shoes behind. I was determined to rest. I brought books, magazines, bathing suits, flip flops, straw hat and sunglasses.

Yes sir, I was going to join the masses, slather my pasty skin with sunblock, and waste the day away watching the waves roll in and out....in and out....in and out...that was the plan.

If it wasn't for Diamond Head.

Try as I might, I could not ignore that sleeping volcano jutting out into the tiffany blue pacific.

I could almost hear her calling on the tropical breeze, "You should see the view from up here!"

So, on Saturday, when Aaron left for an all day lab at the University of Hawaii, I ran upstairs, threw a few essentials into my backpack, pulled on an ill equipped pair of flats and set out for adventure.

I couldn't help myself.

Fueled by excitement...driven with curiosity...I practically jogged the entire way.

I must've looked like a crazy lady, blazing past tourists and locals all the while that blue back pack bouncing up and down on my back, the unsupportive flats now working up a few blisters.

I didn't care.

The last part I remember was crawling through some kind of bunker, (I'm almost positive was used in the filming of Lost), up and out of cement crack....light pouring though....

salt air blasting me straight in the face...and

Endless ocean.

To the right was the now tiny floating city of Honolulu.

I found my way to an outcropping (don't worry mom, it was safe...I was still behind the caution sign), climbed up and plopped down.

I'm not sure how long I took in that view. I wasn't in a rush now.

I felt accomplished and humbled all at the same time.

                                     view of Diamond Head from Waikiki

God is really big you know, but sitting up there made me realize that He is little too.

Small enough to sit with me on the top of a volcano.

I don't plan on forgetting my trusty hiking boots again....maybe I should tie little bells to them while I'm at it.











2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm jealous. Can you believe we were in Waikiki a week and never went up there? We didn't have a car, didn't want to pay for a taxi and didn't even think to walk there. I hope you did get lots of rest and came home refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean and I climbed DH when we went to Hawaii for a Jazz Choir trip in high school :) It was absolutely beautiful! though, I know now it would be a completely different experience..e ven better. I smiled reading this blog Jen.. so blessed for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete