Thursday, September 3, 2009

Proud to be an American!





Last weekend our good friends, the Regan's, invited us to the Portland Air Show to meet their friend, Rick, who is a Thunderbird pilot. We decided to let Zibby play with Nana & Grampa all day and took Abby Sue and Ben with us. Needless to say we were very blessed to have the chance to meet a Thunderbird. Rick was so great with the kids (he and his wife have 3 boys of their own!). Abby Sue had a lot of questions but Ben just sat back, quietly in awe. Rick gave them both a Thunderbird pin and signed their tickets. He was so gracious and real. Ben later told me, "Mom, that was awesome!"
When we were at the show we couldn't wait for the grand finale..The United States Air Force Thunderbirds. Rick is one of the solo pilots and told us to keep our eyes out for a surprise. It was so inspiring to watch those jets scream through the air with such accuracy and precision. It was even more thrilling for us because we now knew who was in one of those jets.
While we watched the formation 4 fly past us all of a sudden, out of no where, #6 Thunderbird (our new friend Rick), comes screaming over our heads...so low it and so loud I thought I would loose my hearing for a couple of days. That was Ricks big "surprise"...and it worked!
It was such a wonderful day. I felt so proud of my country and the freedoms we have. I'm thankful for men like Rick and his family, who make sacrifices so that we can be free. I had tears in my eyes watching those jets...grateful to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment