Sunday, May 3, 2009

Exhortation From a Seven Year Old


While putting Abby Sue to bed this evening she had to be disciplined for not listening to directions. She was so upset about getting into trouble that she couldn't stop crying. I wanted to help her calm down so I explained to her that when we feel sad we can talk to Jesus about how we feel and read His word to comfort us. She told me that she wasn't sure what to read in the Bible because it was a little confusing sometimes. Knowing how she felt, I then talked to her about how God's Word isn't like any other book, it is alive and powerful, and how the words will speak to our hearts when we take the time to listen. I also told her that when I feel really sad my favorite place to turn to is the Psalms because many of them are about feeling sad, afraid, blessed, etc. After saying goodnight and leaving her with her Bible I headed downstairs. Just a little while after I settled Abby Sue down I found myself in her shoes. I completley lost my temper and yelled at Aaron about my troubles. I was so upset about my trials & tribulations that I decided to cry on my bed for a while. A few minutes later I heard something at the door and found Abby Sue's Bible laying on the floor with a large book marker sticking out of it. I opened it up to Psalm 20, a chapter she had been talking about earlier. She especially loved verse 7 , "Some put their trust in horses, some in chariots, but we will trust in the name of the Lord our God." Needless to say I was comforted and exhorted. God's word is alive and powerful. It's living in Abby Sue's heart and in mine.

1 comment: